Identity | Innovation | Community
The genesis of Santuri was born out a feeling that the East African region [Tanzania, Kenya & Uganda] was under-performing on a global stage and under-representing its incredibly rich and diverse talent – the industry often swamped by western-influenced and highly commercial sounds. Santuri tapped into this feeling of discontent by musicians and music lovers, and developed a series of events and projects over the course of its first year to road test a concept – that through developing interesting collaborations, widening the sonic palette, and approaching the creation of music in a professional yet innovative way – new East African sounds would resonate around the region and much further beyond.
We could not have imagined the results and energy which came out of this.
- Developing global enterprise for music with a strong East African identity that is drawn from the ethnic diversity of East Africa
- Creating a mobile platform for co-creating and showcasing new, diverse, innovative and experimental musical collaborations
- Unveiling, developing and promoting promising underground artists to a wider audience
- Increase professionalism, create opportunities, develop capacity and stimulate entrepreneurship within the realms of audio manufacturing, and event implementation.
A vibrant and creative East African underground network that allows artists and musicians the freedom to experiment and present their work professionally to audiences both regionally and globally.
We want to create opportunities and innovate interactions at each stage of the musical value chain via:
- Creation of innovate projects and products
- Development of Events to incorporate new approaches and formats
- Training- audio production, DJing, sound engineering, management, entrepreneurship
- Creation of networks and communities capable of sustaining the forward motion of these ideals
How we do what we do
Working with regional festival partners such as Sauti za Busara (Zanzibar), DOADOA East African Performing Arts Market, (Uganda) Rift Valley Festival (Kenya), Bayimba (Uganda) and Sondeka / Creatives Garage (Kenya), Santuri has run many hugely successful co-creation workshops / recording sessions in the short time since it started. Our sessions focus on putting regional artists together with well renowned producers from around the globe, developing new music within highly charged creative environments. Often in makeshift, pop-up studios in unusual locations, the benefits of this approach have been numerous – from rebooting expectations of what is possible with minimal equipment, developing highly collaborative ways to build tracks, and integrating cutting-edge technology from partners such as Ableton and Native Instruments in order to create DJ / club friendly tracks. What’s more, each event is an opportunity to build the skills and enhance the professionalism of participants and partners, building real capacity in the region
At last count, Santuri has produced over 20 original East African tracks and remixes under the Santuri banner,
…and many of these tracks are receiving strong support from high profile tastemakers, DJs, record labels and websites around the world.